Positionality and Representations of Africa

 Addressing my position

Before I start delving into the study of transboundary river systems in Africa first we must address the ways in which we talk and write about this continent. Accounts of Africa often align with a specific narrative full of stereotypes and misconceptions. When writing about any topic, it is crucial to first assess your positionality; meaning to recognise the social and political context in which you have been raised and hence creates your identity (UBC, 20). Factors include gender, race, class, sexuality, ability and education. Positionality influences ones outlook and understanding of the world (UBC, 20). I am a white British female student born and raised in the UK. I have grown up in a multicultural environment with people from a variety of backgrounds and cultures so I believe myself to be open minded. Despite this, I have come to realise that in fact I do see the world through a very specific lens; a combination of my unique experiences with the general western outlook in which I have been raised. Many of you readers may have been raised in similar backgrounds and so may also have seen Africa from this narrow lens full of stereotypes entrenched in colonial legacies. 


As humans, we form views and opinions based on the information available to us; whether this is from the media, our parents or through education at school and university. We are all heavily impacted by our surroundings. Our cultural identities influence our views and how we perceive other places (National Geographic). Consequently, our perspectives have been geared towards a certain angle since a very young age. It can be difficult to accept at first that our viewpoints are inherently biased and not the best or only way to think. But it is vital that we do and follow this up by questioning the information that we encounter. Therefore, when researching and writing about Africa, it is important to recognise our biases and perspectives and how this affects our opinions (Mendez, 2017). When reading articles, books or news videos I now do not take this information as fact; I question and analyse aspects such as the sources and the author to gain a more rounded understanding of the perspectives and positionality of those collating the piece.  


How to write about Africa - Wainaina 

Binyavanga Wainaina’s article “How to write about Africa” is a fantastic satirical piece which captures these stereotypes and the ignorance often found in pieces written by western authors about Africa, from novelists to journalists. It is a gripping read and will make you laugh as it highlights how ridiculous these misconceptions are whilst also hitting worryingly close to home. “In your text, treat Africa as if it were one country. It is hot and dusty with rolling grasslands and huge herds of animals and tall, thin people who are starving” (Wainaina, 2005). The familiarity of this quote is what makes the article so great, as a lot of us can relate to times when Africa has been depicted in this light in books, films and in school. Despite the humorous undertones of this piece, the core argument of the text is extremely pressing; that representations of Africa by Western media are still shaped by racism, colonial ideas and exoticism. “Africa is to be pitied, worshipped or  dominated….keep your descriptions romantic and evocative…and sunsets, the African sunset is a must” (Wainaina, 2005). 

How to Write About Africa | Binyavanga Wainaina | Granta

Wainaina - How to write about Africa

Source - granta.com



Western Media Representations of Africa

Some have argued that postcolonial critique such as Wainaina’s has created a myth of representations of Africa. Therefore, Toussaint Nothias conducted an empirical study of 282 articles published in British and French newspapers between 2007 and 2012 (Nothias, 2018). Whilst finding that some of the claims are exaggerated, the study also proves that colonial continuities are still prevalent in western media representations of Africa (Nothias, 2018). It supports the critical arguments of Wainaina’s article but highlights the need for empirical research to ascertain exactly where the issues in the media lie. Wainana’s article is very clever and captures the attention of its audience, resulting in it becoming an essential reading when studying representations of Africa. The key message I took from this article was to continually reflect upon my background and perceptions of places and cultures to prevent any ethnocentric stereotyping of others in my writing. I will aim to continue this throughout my blogging experience.


Comments

  1. I, as a Black women (though not an entire representation of the continent of Africa and African diaspora), really appreciate your genuineness through this post. Like you said, I think it's extremely important to recognise one's positionality and be transparent about aspects we may not see due to our differing experiences, especially when writing an informative blog. Thank you for this post Carmen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, transparency is key and I thought it was important to address my positionality especially when writing about people from different cultures

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts